Brexit – importation into the UK of low value items – important!

In the event of a No-Deal Brexit, the UK is introducing a new registration scheme for sellers of goods valued at less than £135 when they are sent to the UK from overseas sellers (including EU sellers). This is to ensure that the seller accounts for UK VAT and Customs Duty on goods imported into the UK by non-UK VAT registered customers.

The registration scheme is now open and overseas businesses (ie non-UK including the EU) can now apply for their unique registration number which will need to be shown on all documentation.

In the event that the seller is not registered under the scheme, the recipient or, if used, the online platform, will have a joint and several liability for any UK VAT and Customs duty not paid by the seller.

There are penalties for late or non-registration.

Join incoming Conference

Linked In

News from the Board

IVA Meeting with HMRC

The meeting, which took place in London in February, was very much a follow-up and review of the progress made since the previous meetings in relation to in particular but not exclusively on the certificates of status required by the UK authorities in the context of 13th Directive (non-EU) claims...

Read more ...

News from IVA members

Other Events

Pump Court Tax Chambers (London – UK)  is organising a VAT Conference on 18 September 2019....

Read more ...

News from EC

News from Accountancy Europe - June 2019

Commission launches new tool to help fight VAT fraud – 15 May 2019...

Read more ...

Disclaimer:  The information contained in the present page is general and does not constitute legal advice. Before taking any decision or action on the above information you should take the appropriate professional advice.