The deadline for submitting claims for EU VAT refunds is drawing closer. It is important that businesses submit their claims via the electronic portal by…
The deadline for submitting claims for EU VAT refunds is drawing closer. It is important that businesses submit their claims via the electronic portal by 31 March 2021.
If businesses miss this deadline, they will not be able to reclaim such claims because VAT incurred in the EU cannot be reclaimed under the overseas refund scheme; that is, claims that are subject to Directive 2008/9EC cannot be reclaimed under Part 21 of the VAT Regulations 1995 (SI 1995/2518).
HMRC has published the following VAT information:
- A new Notice 723A to implement the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/refunds-of-uk-vat-for-non-uk-businesses-or-eu-vat-for-uk-businesses
- Guidance on claiming VAT refunds in Northern Ireland or EU (Northern Ireland ‘Protocol’): https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-vat-refunds-in-northern-ireland-or-the-eu-if-youre-established-in-northern-ireland-or-in-the-eu
- Northern Ireland Force of law notices containing the NI refunds codes: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-made-under-the-value-added-tax-regulations-1995-as-amended-by-the-value-added-tax-miscellaneous-amendments-northern-ireland-protocol-and-savi
- EU VAT Refunds: service availability and issues: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eu-vat-refunds-service-availability-and-issues?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=a236a752-4da4-4bef-bd21-c970f55cde5b&utm_content=daily
- Fulfilment House Due Diligence Scheme: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fulfilment-house-due-diligence-scheme?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=b64f4887-c499-4c57-baa7-be3845edee9d&utm_content=daily
The above information was kindly provided by HMRC.